Sunday, May 15, 2011

Joy in Auckland: there and back

This forms part two of the weekend's happenings...as I've said before, my dear cousin Joy (first cousin, I might add...not some distant relation somewhere down the line) flew me to Auckland on Friday for her birthday celebrations - she was actually the one doing the giving in blessing her friends with this retreat and for me, a whole weekend away. She and Ken very kindly flew me from Timaru which meant not doing the two-hour drive to the cheaper Christchurch option. It also meant that I flew in a very very very tiny airplane...everyone got a window seat and a clear view into the cockpit. I'm not a terribly confident flyer at the best of times so this was daunting, but all was well and the little propellers didn't stop propelling. Had about an hour ten to Wellington, ten minutes to find the correct gate and wait before boarding the next plane, another 45 minutes on a slightly larger plane, and I was there. Joy and Ken were there (isn't it so comforting to have people waiting for you...it must be a horrible feeling to arrive at the airport and your people have forgotten or are late!); it was a happy reunion. Ken dropped Joy and me off at a mall (oh dear, which one was it...Botany?) where I had toasties and coffee; he met us back there and drove us around Auckland for a good look-see. We stopped at One Tree Hill which actually has heaps and heaps of trees, and a large obelisk bizarrely erected as a memorial of Sir John's admiration of the Maori people (so who is being commemorated?). The views were amazing though - coming from Timaru and previously St Helena one is just gobsmacked at the vast expanse of city...although coming from Joburg it's simply a large city. It was getting pretty windy though and the shelter of the car was welcome as we headed back through the 'burbs and first to Eastern Beach and then to Bucklands Beach where we watched a beautiful sunset over the bay...very much looked like Jamestown! And then, to Joy and Ken's gorgeous home for a tour of the gardens and house and an introduction to the resident tui before settling in. Ken cleverly whipped up a fig salad (panfried figs, bacon, cherry tomatoes and greens) while Joy was heating the lamb shank casserole. I do confess that I simply delighted in Ken and Joy's interaction with one another...after 28 years of marriage theirs is still a love story of note and an inspiration to us juniors! Their daughter Kirsten (my first cousin once removed or second cousin?) arrived from Hamilton between courses to spend the night and join us on the retreat, and despite being old enough to have recently completed her Masters (with distinction), we'd never met!! Sadly this is the case with most of my cousins' children. Had a splendid and very relaxed evening together. Saturday morning we were up reasonably early and I had time to look at Joy's scrapbooks...she is exceptionally talented in so many directions (and did I mention that she's my cousin?). Left their place around 10 am for the airport to pick up Lynn B, and from this point on I was known as Lynnie to avoid confusion. Lynn B is just gorgeous and quite hilarious. From there we were off to His House, aided by the conscientious Daniel who directed us through Auckland's spaghetti junction and about an hour and a half of bridges, motorways, city and suburbs. So interesting to see a new part of NZ. And now I skip over to Sunday afternoon where we took leave from the retreat...the plan was to browse the Warkworth markets but all we found was the wharf and a few raindrops. Decided to rather get ourselves closer to the airport and kill the two hours on that side instead of meandering and possibly getting stuck in traffic. Once again Daniel was our friend and took us without incident (other than heavy rain but that wasn't his fault) to a bead shop where we sorted Lynn B out with a long pendant on a chain and Kirsten out with the makings of an interesting necklace. Ken met up with us at a neighbouring coffee shop for a light lunch, then we were back at the airport. What a glorious, beautiful, memorable, relaxing and inspiring weekend it was! Felt a bit sad to say goodbye but we're only a phonecall away. I had to get changed at the airport before checking my suitcase in...Auckland's weather was so wonderfully mild even with the rain (typically described as sub-tropical) - I had to retrieve woollen tights and more layers before returning to our sub-antarctic town. The flight from Aucks to Wellies was mellow...smooth, short, and with a sunset to appreciate. I was worried about the 15 minutes between landing and boarding but there was a little bit of a wait for the Timaru flight. Back on the small plane for the longest hour and ten minutes in my life - many prayers offered for the pilots as our plane was tossed through strong headwinds and nausea was fought back, but we landed safely and I could see Nick and the boys in the terminal (the Timaru airport comprises one shed and one runway). Happy to be on the ground and reunited with my beloveds! I talked nonstop on the 15 minute drive home...apparently women have a limitless supply of words, not just 5,000 per day. Nick will attest to this. And thus concludes my Auckland retreat!

1 comment:

Helen Williams said...

Oh it all sounds so fabulous.
I'm having weekend in Auckland in August I can't wait for it to arrive, and finally met my blog friend Bron.