Sunday, June 19, 2011

Endurance to the end!

Had one of my famous meltdowns with the boys this morning (aka a sinful and inexcusable fit of shouting and anger)...have to formulate a plan to help them (a) have breakfast (b) brush their teeth (c) get dressed (d) make their beds (e) put their pyjamas under their pillows (f) sort out any clothing left lying on the floor without me having to daily (a) tell them the necessary steps (b) remind them five minutes later (c) remind them again and urge them to get busy (d) walk in to their room to sternly rebuke them for getting silly and still being in their pyjamas (e) start waving my arms in the air and shouting. I have to wonder if my expectations are just too high; ultimately the concern is that they simply have no focus to the task at hand and this will become a life-long trait unless addressed in the early years!! So, with pounding heart and hoarse voice I told the boys I felt like a hypocrite, put on my best Sunday face, and descended to the bowels of the church building for Sunday School. Not my favourite way to start a day. Thankfully after the service Andreas and Danielle rescued us all from each other by inviting us to lunch - one of those delightful 'bring what's in your fridge' arrangements. Danielle cooked up an amazing pasta and I had marinated chicken wings to contribute. Andreas put on his barista apron and served up his swirly pattern coffee...koeksusters, jelly and ice-cream followed, and then Andre Rieu entertained us for a while. A great afternoon, thanks Bothas! Afternoon church at 4.30, and John was filling the pulpit today with encouragement to count the cost and endure.

No comments: