Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fire-Mom

Let the new work/school week begin! A whole week has gone by since Nick left, and only one week to go until his return. We're coping admirably but do miss him terribly...the house is too quiet and empty without him :(

Meanwhile, in Fiji...drum-roll..."Today I get a day off; the meeting that I was due to take this evening was cancelled - harvest season for sugar cane has just started so people only get home at 7-8. Last night was good, we had the pastor’s fraternal. I was all set to preach a direct message about monergistic regeneration, but God changed my plans. Two American Mormon girls pitched up with their Mormon pastor for the meeting, so I had a chance to speak to them before the meeting and preached the Gospel from Romans 3 instead. Vijay and I are chatting for hours at a time, about all sorts of things. I have been helping him with his books - he has hundreds and they need to be re-organized. The food is good, nice and spicy which is how I like it, but the best part is that I don’t have to use a knife and fork - you eat everything with your fingers! And my feet are swollen."

And while I've learned heaps about the art of fire-making, there is still much to be learned. You'd think it would be simple, hey...but experience teaches that non-dry wood is never going to catch when you're starting a fire. Three firelighters, several charred logs and another trip to the woodshed for pinecones later, my fire finally got going. Aaron had arranged for his friend Merric to come over after school, but my condition was that his room had to be tidy...no underpants lying on the floor, no bits of Lego on the floor, and especially a made bed and stowed pyjamas. By the time we left for school it was spotless with almost zero intervention from me, and so Merric came. I was impressed!! I had my second violin lesson this evening with Jemima, and am happy to report that by all appearances I have improved exponentially since a fortnight ago ;) Like I said last time, the only way to go was up after that abysmal beginning. I will be learning Ashokan Farewell which gave me goosebumps when Jemima played it for me. Hope my attempts don't make my hair stand on end.

No comments: